This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
4. - SaaS application integration terms to know: Read more in this section
- application integration (enterprise application integration or EAI)
- application program interface (API)
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - SaaS app integration pitfalls
- 2. - SaaS app integration strategies and tools
- 3. - SaaS app integration videos
1) In information technology, an application is the use of a technology, system, or product.
2) The term application is a shorter form of application program. An application program is a program designed to perform a specific function directly for the user or, in some cases, for another application program. Examples of applications include word processors, database programs, Web browsers, development tools, drawing, paint, image editing programs, and communication programs. Applications use the services of the computer's operating system and other supporting applications. The formal requests and means of communicating with other programs that an application program uses is called the application program interface (API).