As a registered member of SearchAppSecurity.com, you're entitled to a complimentary copy of Chapter 5 of Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Security, Membership, and Role Management written by Stefan Schackow and published by John Wiley & Sons Inc. "Chapter 5 -- Forms Authentication"
This chapter covers the following topics on ASP.NET 2.0 forms authentication:
- Making changes to the behavior of persistent forms authentication tickets
- Securing the forms authentication payload
- Securing forms authentication cookies with HttpOnly and requireSSL
- Using Cookieless support in forms authentication
- Using forms authentication across ASP.NET 1.1 and ASP.NET 2.0
- Leveraging the UserData property of FormsAuthenticationTicket
- Passing forms authentication tickets between applications
- Enforcing a single login and preventing replayed tickets after logout
Experienced developers who are looking to create reliably secure sites with ASP.NET 2.0 will find that Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Security, Membership, and Role Management covers a broad range of security features including developing in partial trust, forms authentication, and securing configuration. The book offers detailed information on every major area of ASP.NET security you'll encounter when developing Web applications.
You'll see how ASP.NET 2.0 version contains many new built-in security functions compared to ASP.NET 1.x such as Membership and Role Manager, and you'll learn how you can extend or modify various features. The book begins with two chapters that walk you through the processing ASP.NET 2.0 performs during a web request and the security processing for each request, followed by a detailed explanation of ASP.NET Trust Levels.
With this understanding of security in place, you can then begin working through the following chapters on configuring system security, forms authentication, and integrating ASP.NET security with classic ASP including integrating Membership and Role Manager with classic ASP.
>> Buy the book
This was first published in November 2006