As a registered member of SearchSoftwareQuality.com, you're entitled to a complimentary copy of Chapter 1 of Implementing the IBM Rational Unified Process and Solutions: A Guide to Improving Your Software Development Capability and Maturity written by Joshua Barnes and published by IBM Press. " Your First Steps Toward Implementing RUP and IBM Rational Solutions" focuses on key points to bring awareness and generate excitement about RUP. This chapter outlines the ROI you might expect from implementing RUP and IBM Rational Solutions, common problems that these methods may solve and how to sell the executives on this process solution and tools.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
This book delivers all the knowledge and insight you need to succeed with the IBM Rational Unified Process (RUP) and Solutions. Joshua Barnes presents a start-to-finish, best-practice roadmap to the complete implementation cycle of IBM RUP -- from projecting ROI and making the business case through piloting, implementation, mentoring, and beyond.
Drawing on his extensive experience leading large-scale IBM RUP implementations and working with some of the industry's most recognized thought leaders in the Software Engineering Process world, Barnes brings together comprehensive "lessons learned" from both successful and failed projects. You'll learn from real-world case studies, including actual project artifacts.
Whether you're an executive, software professional, or consultant, this book will help you continuously improve the maturity of your development processes–and reap the benefits: better quality, faster delivery, and more business value.
After reading this book you will be able to:
- Get past the myths of software process improvement to focus on what's truly practical
- Identify and evaluate your best candidate process solutions
- Objectively project the ROI achievable with IBM R UP and IBM Rational solutions
- Develop funding models, business cases, and executive support
- Recruit, staff, organize, and motivate your implementation team
- Plan for effective integration, process alignment, and change management
- Choose the right pilots, learn the right lessons, and develop effective adoption models
- Move quickly to successful program-level implementation
- Set maturity level goals for process and tool utilization
- Map "End States" for both quantity and quality
- Plan for training and mentoring–and understand the distinct role of each
- Keep the momentum going after your implementation is complete
>> Buy the book
This chapter is an excerpt from the new book titled, "Implementing the IBM Rational Unified Process and Solutions: A Guide to Improving Your Software Development Capability and Maturity", authored by Joshua Barnes, published by IBM Press, June, 2007. ISBN 0321369459; Copyright 2007 by International Business Machines Corporation. All rights reserved. For more information please visit: www.ibmpressbooks.com