What is Apache JMeter?
A load test will simulate end-user behavior that approaches the limits of an application's specifications. Testers can use Apache JMeter to simulate varying or heavy loads on singular or multiple servers, networks or objects to test a system's strength.
Uses for JMeter
- Performance testing is the process of determining the speed, responsiveness and stability of a computer, network, software program or device under a workload.
- Spike testing is a form of load testing which rapidly increases and decreases the load over short bursts of time before returning to an average load. Spike tests simulate a system where there is an unexpected increase and decrease in loads (for example an e-commerce store on Black Friday).
- Unit tests will analyze the smallest testable parts of an application. Jmeter can be used to unit test processes and protocols such as JDBCdatabase connections, LDAP, JMS and HTTP.
Benefits of JMeter
Benefits of using Apache JMeter include:
- open source code base
- support for browser plugins
- support for offline analysis of test results
- displays test results in a variety of ways, including charts, trees, tables or log files
- user-friendly graphical user interface (GUI)
- support for multiple types of tests and basic protocols