As a registered member of SearchSoftwareQuality.com, you're entitled to a complimentary copy of Chapter 1 of Practical Model-Based Testing: A Tools Approach written by Mark Utting and Bruno Legeard and published by Morgan Kaufmann, a division of Elsevier. Chapter 1: " The Challenge" defines software testing in general and explains how model-based testing works. There are graphs, diagrams and a lengthy example of model-based testing in a smart card application.
This book gives a practical introduction to model-based testing, showing how to write models for testing purposes and how to use model-based testing tools to generate test suites. It is aimed at testers and software developers who wish to use model-based testing, rather than at tool-developers or academics. The book focuses on the mainstream practice of functional black box testing and covers different styles of models, especially transition-based models (UML state machines) and pre/post models (UML/OCL specifications and B notation). The steps of applying model-based testing are demonstrated on examples and case studies from a variety of software domains, including embedded software and information systems. From this book you will learn:
- The basic principles and terminology of model-based testing
- How model-based testing differs from other testing processes
- How model-based testing fits into typical software lifecycles such as agile software development methods and the Unified Process
- The benefits and limitations of model-based testing, its cost effectiveness and how it can reduce time-to-market
- A step-by-step process for applying model-based testing
- How to write good models for model-based testing
- How to use a variety of test selection criteria to control the tests that are generated from your models
- How model-based testing can connect to existing automated test execution platforms such as Mercury Test Director, Java JUnit, and proprietary test execution environments
>> Read Chapter 1: .
>> Buy the book
Printed with permission from Morgan Kaufmann, a division of Elsevier. Copyright 2007. "Practical Model-Based Testing: A Tools Approach" by Mark Utting and Bruno Legeard. For more information about this title, please visit www.books.elsevier.com.